We Are Social.


Chapter 1: Introduction to Social Media Marketing 

Starting this Social Media journey off, Chapter 1 explores social media marketing. Social media marketing is how brands and companies use social media as a free marketing tool. This is a process that has swept the world off its feet, attracting us even more so to our phones. Upon further reading, it is brought to the attention of the readers that the average person spends one entire day a week on the Internet. This equates to around six hours a day on the web and around two and a half hours on social media platforms. 


I found this particularly interesting because I currently run four social media accounts. The majority of these accounts are volunteer work, however, one social media page I run is a part-time job. So that statistic made me think about how I potentially compare to the average person. Typically spending around five hours a day on my phone in “creativity” or “entertainment” apps, I am spending approximately double the amount of time on social media platforms per day. As I am writing this I'm becoming increasingly more concerned about the long-term effects of social media. Because even though I might spend a crazy amount of time on my phone, other people do as well or else there wouldn't be a demand for any of the social media I create. 


Circling back to the reading, it is stated many times throughout the reading “(We Are Social)”. I found this phrase interesting because it would often follow a statistic or fact about the extreme usage of social media. Using this tagline the writer, Michelle Charello, makes it clear to the readers that humans need social media, and it is now an integral part of our communication. 


As I am concluding the initial chapter of our textbook, I am becoming increasingly excited about this year. I am hoping to gain insights and knowledge to enhance my approach to managing the social media profiles I run!


Comments

  1. I completely agree with your statement that humans need social media and how it is such an integral part of our communication. I also interpreted from the text that Charello wants readers to know about the growth of social media and the way that it, as you mentioned, "swept the world off its feet." You also mentioned spending hours on creativity apps as well as social media, which goes along with the skills listed in the chapter as skills that social media professionals typically possess. Of course it makes sense for you to have those qualities, as an aspiring graphic designer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the long-term effects of social media could become a problem sooner rather than later. But because of the high popularity, it can be a good thing for those like you who run social media accounts. I also agree that it will be interesting to learn more about running social media. I think as a reader, along with writing content.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping it Dark

Internships vs. Free Labor

Desk Date