Pintrest Demographics


Chapter Six covers the startup and statistics of Pinterest. I was shocked at the slow start Pinterest experienced. This surprised me because I feel as humans we are very visual people, so an interface solely focusing on visuals and aesthetics of graphics, I assumed, would flourish quickly. However, Pinterest has interface metaphors that were not common at its release, such as the "pin" and "board" concepts. But, by the year after its release, the platform quickly grew to the top 10 most-used apps.

Another thing that surprised me about Pinterest was its demographics. Over 70% of users are female. This is to be expected for an app that mainly focuses on aesthetics and inspiration; however, two out of three of its founders were males. So, were they expecting the interface to be so female-dominant? This intrigued me, so I decided to look around the internet to find out why Pinterest is such a prominent female platform. I found from multiple sites that the high Pinterest use rate among women may be because it encourages an emotional bond with the platform. A large factor the articles also mention is the finding that women are the primary decision-makers in terms of buying household products and services. In addition, the articles find that the platform is mainly used for recipes and wedding planning — which I know people who use it for those exact reasons. This also supports the idea that Pinterest is used mainly for visuals and aesthetics. 


The book also mentions that the average time spent on Pinterest daily is only 14 minutes. This also surprised me because I know I use some apps for hours daily. However, if people are using it for recipes or wedding planning, this would make sense. Recipes are quick to find, and once you find one, you begin cooking — and therefore getting off the platform. And wedding planning is a long process that people tend to do in their leisure time at random. So, this would also coincide with the short amounts of time spent on the platform.


I personally do not use the interface at all; however, I may start to use it for more recipe ideas!


Comments

  1. I have not read this chapter yet, but it definitely surprises me that you do not use Pinterest! I also find it interesting that the daily use is so low. I know personally that I do not use the platform daily; however, when I use it, I am on there scrolling for hours unless I am searching for something specific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I have a little bit of a Pinterest addiction LOL, I totally reccomend getting on there. For me, I use it for gift giving inspo, outfit inspo, traveling tips, and I love art so I make all of the things for my apartment and stuff so Pinterest is great for that too. I am on there at least once a day, though not usually for a long time. 10/10 reccomend!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping it Dark

Internships vs. Free Labor

Desk Date