AIGA

             

AIGA, the American Institute of Graphic Artists, has a chapter at Ohio Northern University. This is the only professional organization on campus for graphic designers. Despite graphic design seeming like a small major on campus, it boasts over thirty students. Joining this club is crucial for all graphic design majors because it provides an opportunity to attend the national conference, which is pivotal for networking within our community. This networking can lead to easier access to internships and credible field experiences.

I'm writing this week not just as a member but as the president of this organization. My term has been less than stellar so far. I've neglected AIGA during the chaotic first weeks of the semester. Historically, AIGA has maintained strong member retention among majors. However, the club was inactive for five years and was only reinstated last year. The previous president revived the organization but treated it more as a social club rather than focusing on professional development.

This past week, I met with my team to establish what we want to change in the club to make it worthwhile for others to join. Starting the club without guidelines has been challenging, but I believe the experience and connections I gain will benefit my future career. My team and I have discussed necessary changes and their desired improvements — which were extensive. This week, I've dedicated considerable time to researching and organizing professional development events, such as LinkedIn and resume-building workshops. I've also contacted alumni relations and am drafting a message to send to all AIGA alumni. Additionally, I've reached out to our members for nominations for the DeBow Freed Award for Outstanding Undergraduate Leadership. Winning this award as a freshman and now facilitating the nomination process feels like a full-circle moment. The significant interest in this opportunity is encouraging, as it's an excellent way for students to be recognized on campus.

Despite the hectic nature of this week, it's been rewarding. I'm enthusiastic about the direction we're taking AIGA and am excited to see where we can lead this organization.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping it Dark

Internships vs. Free Labor

Desk Date