Instagrams Response to COVI-19

Spring break 
In Chapter 5, Marketing with Instagram, the book has a section about Instagram's response to COVID-19. I found this particularly interesting because I clearly remember my life during that time period. I was walking through the halls with my boyfriend at the time when we heard over the announcements that spring break would be extended to two weeks. I was so happy — I was struggling with school at this time and really needed a break to get my head straight. So, three weeks off sounded just like what I needed, little did I know that we weren't coming back the rest of the year. Ultimately, I had a pretty positive experience throughout COVID; I learned a lot about myself and ended with a 4.0. However, I do remember what a huge part of my life social media played. Social media, including Instagram, was the only way to connect with my friends and stay up to date. I resisted downloading TikTok until late in COVID; the first week I had it, I spent over 11 hours on the app — oops.


Travel volleyball during COVID-19
Instagram played a pivotal role during COVID-19, allowing people across the world to continue to communicate despite benign mandates. The book mentions quite a bit about how Instagram promoted small businesses more during COVID-19. I found this extremely interesting and uplifting. This struggling time shut down major businesses, so a small business just starting would have no chance. Instagram added the shopping feature to the app at this time, and clearly, it was a success as it is still around today. The shopping feature on Instagram would allow small businesses to promote their products to their target audience at a time when everyone was constantly on their phones. Not only this, but they created a fundraising campaign to help struggling small businesses. I found this uplifting because I feel generally in this day and age we picture the Meta business suite as a social media monster with a lack of care. However, this action taken by Instagram during COVID-19 proves to be the opposite. Instagram already was a popular site and just gained momentum during COVID-19, so it used its popularity for good and helped small businesses market their products.




Comments

  1. I can relate to being excited at first hearing about COVID. Although after a while I was just ready to get back to normal. I agree that Instagram did a great job elevating themselves during COVID unlike some other companies. They saw it as an opportunity instead of a threat.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping it Dark

Internships vs. Free Labor

Desk Date