Founder's Day


This weekend at Alpha Xi Delta, we're celebrating our founders. The event is scheduled for Saturday, inconveniently the day after our formal. Despite the timing, I'm thrilled to host another event for my sorority!

Founder's Day is a bit different, though. It includes a ceremony that I have to lead. Speaking at length in front of everyone, especially with 10 alumni attending whom I'm not entirely familiar with, makes me quite nervous. I know I'll figure it out, but the anticipation and everything leading up to the event are daunting.

We're aiming for a "high tea" vibe for a late afternoon brunch, preparing small sandwiches for all the guests and sisters of the Gamma Tau chapter. This means the communications committee and I have to prepare a full meal for 50 or more people. It's a daunting task that's not only out of our budget but also a significant time investment to make everything appealing. Additionally, there will be sides and other miscellaneous foods for people to enjoy, hopefully leaving with full stomachs. I'm torn between being more nervous about speaking or possibly not having enough food.

So, last night, or technically early this morning at 2 a.m., I made a grocery list with the exact items and quantities needed. I sent this to those responsible for grocery shopping, hoping it would make their job easier. We also plan to prep all this food a couple of days in advance to assemble everything on the morning of Founder's Day. This is crucial to avoid the dread of soggy sandwiches. I'm hopeful the event will be a success and encourage alumni to return for Homecoming or next year's Founder's Day.

After this, the communications team won't host another event until the beginning of next semester, so things should calm down — potentially. I've found over ten gray hairs through this process; it's exhausting. And I'm not just talking about sorority life but everything in general.

Right now, I'm shaking in my boots with everything going on, and this blog post feels like last week's: a frantic spill of thoughts. However, I believe there's value in blogging this way since it mirrors my inner dialogue. But, let me know what you guys think!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping it Dark

Internships vs. Free Labor

Desk Date